Confronting the threat of Capitalism without the pretense of Democracy. Addressing the Crisis of the Presidential Transition and its (global) Implications
We are living in tumultuous times. The core capitalist countries are rapidly abandoning any pretense of democracy and advancing toward war. We, the oppressed peoples and working class people of the world, must take decisive action to stop the advance of authoritarianism and the potential restoration of the neo-liberal fragmentation and austerity which delivered us to this moment.
The United States is now a powder-keg. Right wing forces are threatening and assaulting progressive forces with deadly intent and outcomes all over the country. Progressive forces have been militantly confronting the repressive and exploitative institutions of society since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, on a scale not seen since the 1930’s. These forces stand juxtaposed in epic conflict and contrast. Behind this conflict is a struggle for power. The power to direct and transform society. One of the critical backdrops of this contest are the national elections in the United States, for President and Congress. Heightening this conflict is the struggle over which party is going to appoint the next Supreme Court Justice in the wake of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s passing. From the statements and actions of President Donald Trump, it is clear that the November 3rd elections will undoubtedly be contentious and contested, regardless of the outcome. Trump is intent on staying in power and we must do everything we can to ensure that this does not happen. The stakes could not be higher, and not just for those of us in the United States, but for everyone around the world given the impact of US imperialism.
We have learned hard lessons from history that in the contest of equal rights it is force that decides the outcome. We have to galvanize and mobilize a force powerful enough to ensure a democratic outcome. Not only must we ensure that the Trump regime’s efforts to remain in power and advance its fascist agenda is stopped dead in its tracks, we must also upend the efforts of the Biden campaign, the DNC, and the neoliberal forces behind them to impose austerity upon the world and apply strategic repression against the forces that have sustained the Floyd rebellion. In order to defeat the deadly and inhumane government and corporate responses to the COVID-19 pandemic, the global depression, and the deepening climate and ecological crisis, we have to demand more and we have to act in our own interests. We therefore call on all who are able to join us in taking a Pledge of Resistance and to Act Decisively.
We Pledge to Act:
- To take every possible non-violent action to fight for real human dignity and equality for all people and their economic, environmental and health needs as the crises that threaten us intensify.
- To occupy civic squares on Wednesday, November 4th to send a clear message to President Trump to relinquish power.
- To Occupy the State Capitols on Saturday, November 7th to exert critical pressure on Trump to leave and if the Democrats win to force the system to concede to our demands.
- To engage in strategic rolling strikes throughout November, December and January to counter the mobilization of the right, force Trump to leave power, and push the Democrats to enact our demands.
- To press towards a mass strike either the day before, the day of, or the day(s) after the Inauguration to make every effort to shut down critical sectors of the country’s economic activities to force Trump out of office if he tries to hang on and to force Biden, should he win, to implement our demands.
We Pledge to Fight For:
- A radical transformation of society that decolonizes the land, democratizes and decarbonise the economy, and abolishes the institutions of repression and punishment.
- The termination of the Trump-Pence regime and the suppression of the armed white supremacist militias it has empowered.
- A bailout of the people – universal basic income, the elimination of all debts, no rents or mortgages payments during the pandemic and no more corporate bailouts.
- Universal Health Care for all.
- A clear, science driven national policy to end the COVID-19 pandemic that includes
- Production and distribution of all the necessary PPE
- People’s enforcement of physical distancing and mask wearing protocols.
- Transparent and accurate information on vaccine testing and availability.
- Free medical treatment and well-tested vaccinations for all.
- The immediate implementation of environmental actions as called for by the scientific consensus to reverse global warming and climate change.
- Economic Transformation, turning all banks and financial institutions into public utilities and transforming the corporations into worker owned and self-managed entities.
- The immediate release of people imprisoned for non-violent offenses or political activities. This includes freedom and safety for all people seeking asylum and imprisoned by ICE.
- Defunding and demilitarizing the police. Ending police immunity to prosecution.
- Defunding the military.
- The immediate halt to war provocations and preparations. This includes:
- Dismantling the U.S. nuclear arsenal in conjunction with international agreements for a denuclearized world.
- Removal of all U.S. bases and military operations in other countries.
- The end to all assassination efforts, including by drones.
Join us. Make the Pledge. Organize your family, friends, coworkers and congregants to take action to Stop Trump, Stop Austerity, and build the future we need. The time is now.
- On September 24, 2020